Sunday, April 1, 2012

Aloha Australia

      My time in Australia is coming to an end and it's been one of my most memorable and best trips for sure.  Surfed fun Shark Island my first day in Australia, stayed and traveled with good friends, visited WA for the first time and loved it, won a heat for the first time in awhile, placed 4th in the Box trials, placed equal 3rd in the main event, and ate Kangaroo for the first time.  
      As most of you guys know I've stayed with the South African crew.  Mark Mcarthy (2nd place finisher in the Box pro), Jared Houston, and Nathan Mcarthy (Marks brother) was the crew I was with in WA.  WA is a beautiful place and I loved it there.  Mark and his brother would cook the best meals for dinner and I think that's why I did so well in the comp.  haha, but seriously they cooked a good feed and they even made some Kangaroo burgers which was my first time eating.  It was delicious for sure.  WA is a place I could see myself coming back to and I'll be back for sure.
    The Box trials was intense.  There were so many good riders.  The waves were really fun.  Coming into my first heat, I was a bit nervous just because I haven't advanced out of a heat for so long and I knew I could do great out at Gas Bay.  I ended up winning my first heat and I think that gave me lots of confidence and momentum going into all of my other heats including the main event.  In the main event at Box, I felt really comfortable surfing out there.  It was like a wave i've surfed a lot back at home so I felt really good!  My run ended in the Semis to Mitch Rawlins which was the events winner in the end. My hat goes off to Mitch and a big congrats for surfing well through the whole comp.  He deserves it for sure.
    I'm still in Australia at the moment trying to get home.  I'm on a Hawaiian Airlines buddy pass so I'm hoping to get on tonight somehow.  I didn't get on last night due to the flight being over booked.  I'm crossing my fingers for sure.  I'm cruising Emerald zone at the moment waiting for my flight.  

    Here are some links to check out about the Box event and some coverage I've gotten for getting 3rd:


THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT!  I COULDN'T BE MORE STOKED AND HAPPY :)  This was a long time coming for me and everyone's support really meant a lot.  Mahalo again everyone!  2012 is going to be good times!  Life is good for sure :)  aloha
Also, thank you to my sponsors TURBO BodyboardsThe Foam CompanyFlipmode Clothing, and, SURGE Wax.
All Box Pro bodyboarding photos taken by Sacha "Spex" Specker.
Riptide photos by Steven Wall
      
First session in Australia.  Shark Island zone.  Photo:  Mariko Jade
guys hags focused and ready for zones
Gas Bay Box trials 
Fighting chickens with Daniel Worsley
Kangaroo zones cruising in our backyard
Choke bat tails cruising.  These will be my new color combos for my signature boards this year.  Get some.
The saffas cook a good feed.
Fancy coffe flat white zones in WA. 
Massive fire near Margaret river guy
Kangaroo burger.  Yummy!
Interview zone with Spex guy
Flipping in my first heat of the Box Pro. 
Bazza zone in round 3.
Stoked hags guy
Inverting in my semi-finals. 
Hags and Boetie during our round 1 heat together. 
Boxing zone
Invert in new Riptide mag
Home zones in new Riptide mag
The security guard in Emerald having a snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment