Wednesday, September 18, 2013

IBA Hawaii stop #1, Sandy Beach Oahu

        This past weekend was the first stop of the IBA Hawaii Tour at Sandy Beach, Oahu and it was good times.  I was really stoked that they brought back this tour back to Hawaii because I used to compete in the IBA Hawaii tour about 10 years ago and I always looked forward to competing in them.  The organizers and sponsors put together an awesome and really organized event.  I was really impressed by the structure of the event, the format(priority, prize money distribution to the finalists, judging, etc.), and just everything about it made it good times!  
        I ended up winning every heat until the finals where I was stopped and placed 2nd behind the winner Matt Holzman.  I held 1st place for majority of the final, but Matt got two really good scores in a span of 5 mins under priority and ripped both waves.  It goes to show that having priority isn't always a good thing, but it's all good.  A 2nd place finish in the first IBA Hawaii is a great result and I'm super stoked!  Congratulations to Matt for winning the event!  He was ripping the whole contest and he's a very deservable winner!  Also, congratulations to all of the finalists and riders for pushing the level of riding this past weekend.  It was really awesome to watch the young groms ripping as well as the Maui boys.  Mack Criley a young ripper from Maui won the DK pro and Noa Auweloa also a young ripper from Maui got 3rd in the jr. pro!  
       A big MAHALO goes out to all of the sponsors and organizers of the IBA Hawaii Tour!  Also, to all of the fans that came out to watch the comp and all of you for the continuous support!  Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart!  One more thanks to my sponsors:  The No.6 Bodyboards, The Foam Company, NVCTA Clothing, Da Secret Sauce, Surge Wax, and Reeflex Wetsuits.  Aloha and mahalo!  Life is good :)  Thank you Jesus!
IBA Hawaii stop number one winner Matt Holzman
Warm up free surf flip at half point.  Photo:  Nick Dodge
My 9 point flip during the finals.  Photo:  Nick Dodge
Friday nights sunset from Sandy Beach
Saturday mornings sunrise
Half point
2nd place trophy and a nice board bag from the best boogie shop in the world The Foam Company
Sunset photo #1 from Sunday evening
Sunset photo #2 from Sunday evening
Sunset photo #3 from Sunday evening
Sunset photo #4 from Sunday evening.  I love sunsets
The Open Pro finalists
My sponsors are legends
Focused.  PHoto:  Kristy Barracuda
Cute invert in my quarterfinal heat.  Photo:  Kristy Barracuda
Fip in my semifinal heat.  Photo:  Kristy Barracuda
Round 2 heat draws and results 
Quarter, Semi, and Final heat draws and results


No comments:

Post a Comment