Saturday, June 1, 2013

Antofagasta, Chile

              Not too much to report about wave riding, but I've been enjoying my time here in Antofagasta with my two good friends from South Africa and the most amazing family that we are staying with.  After the contest in Arica, Dubb and I went on the longgggg road trip to Antofagasta with our friends Rapo and Renato.  It was about a total of 10 hours of driving.  We stopped in Iquique which is another town that we surfed this cute spot called Punta dos.  It was fun then we continued our drive to Antofagasta.  It was epic seeing the coast line of Northern Chile with huge insane desert mountains.  Its a really big change from the green mountains in Hawaii, but they were still beautiful.  It's epic seeing the different culture and zones.  
              I am staying with the Matras family.  They are all legends.  I've stayed with them last year so I knew it will be good times.  I invited my two good South African friends Iain and Michael to stay as well so it's been epic.  It really feels like my second home here.  We eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner as a family and it's beautiful.  Makes me miss home so much though, but I'm enjoying my time here.
              The contest has had some good riding so far.  The top 16 hasn't surfed yet, but the swell is looking to be good tomorrow.  Fingers crossed because it's flat today.  The girls have been ripping as well.  Check out the live action at www.ibaworldtour.com/live and all the updates www.ibaworldtour.com
              Also, the guys at le Boogie magazine did this write up on me and an interview.  Check it out at http://leboogie.com/2013/the-worlds-best-unsigned-rider/ it's called "The Worlds best unsigned rider".  Thank you so much everyone for the support!  Below are a bunch of photos from our road trip and from Antofagasta!  Life is good.  Enjoy :)
Packed and ready for the long road Trip
Taking a break
Saw the sunset while driving.  A sunset is rare in Arica somehow
Rapo is a legend!
Big dessert mountain zones
So much fog
See
Cute stray dogs
The city of Iquique
See
Cute punta dos 
See
Big dessert mountains
The sunset zone.  Saw the sunrise and sunset on the same day.  
Early morning Antofagasta.  La Cupula 
Fancy contest wave
Antofagasta zones
My view from my room
Cute Pero
Catching the bus with cute sweater
Stadium zone
Bus vibes
See.  Iain and guy
Micahel and shrimp
Shrimp and shrimp 
The best parents in the world.  Missing them
Shrimp and old shrimp
The two saffas trying to play table tennis 
Another beautiful sunset
My friend Ricki had to get 7 stitches for this cut he got at Cupula 
Sea food zones
Ceviche beautiful 
I eat um
Cute beach with cute shakas
Getting artsy.  no liter. wot!
The gang 
Cute stray dog
Cute art
These guy are like brothers to me.  Ricki and Alfanso
Everyone at lunch 
Sunset last night from my room

She always makes me smile even if I'm feeling sick.  Love her!




1 comment:

  1. I didnt know that you were struggling so hard to be part a of bodyboard comps( ive only realised that after reading your article at le boogie).
    Even though you keep pushing your self and you shots lots of heart. Its a shame that you dont have a major sponsor but i believe(hope) that you will be rewarded soon.
    If you come to Portugal say something!
    Keep it up, Cheers!

    ReplyDelete